Come join me for a quick-paced (2.5-3 miles per hour) night hike.
We will be on pavement most of the way, which makes it good for nighttime!
This area has a lot of No Picnicking signs throughout the park, which means we need to keep moving and not stop for breaks or congregate. It is a reverse hike in that it goes down in the beginning and you go back up a steep hill at the end.
We will hike/walk down to a campground picnic area. In non Covid times I would suggest congregating and having a restful snack there.
It is across from the ranger’s house so we want to make sure to follow the rules and also not be very loud. We can stop briefly to rest or snack and then turn around and head back.
Distance: 7 miles on Pavement and gravel road
Elevation Gain: about 600 ft
Difficulty: Intermediate hike due to pace and distance, but an experienced fast paced beginner should be able to do it too.
Restrooms: There is an Andy Gump toilet mid hike
Water Fountain: No
Parking: Free, make sure you do not park on the street across from the trailhead or you will get a ticket. Park farther down at Potrero and Pinehill on the right then walk to the trailhead.
Trail: Out and back, pavement/fireroad this hike goes down at the beginning and up at the end
Sunset: 6:15pm bring flashlight or headlamp
Weather: Adverse Weather conditions will cancel the hike. Come prepared with a light layer in your pack in case you get chilly from all the sweat! (I usually get chilled on the way back).
Known Dangers: Rattlesnakes, poison oak, Mosquitoes may all be encountered on this hike, bug spray might be useful here.
It is always possible to slip and fall though the road is flat wear comfortable shoes that you can wear on pavement or dirt. Tennis shoes okay since much of this hike is pavement, but hiking shoes are best.
Bring: Your headlamp, a personal snack, light layer and LOTS of H20 when it’s hot (maybe 2L or more L if you sweat a lot).
COVID-19 DISCLAIMER / RULES
Please follow the guidelines under the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). https://covid19.ca.gov/
COVID information for Ventura and LA counties:
Your participation means you agree with the observance of mandated COVID-19 safety measures and you agree to follow these rules:
• Each participant will observe social distancing of 6 ft. among ourselves.
• It is required to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…
• Be considerate and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Cover your mouth with your elbow if you need to sneeze or cough.
DISCLAIMER / RELEASE OF LIABILITY:
• You must RSVP to attend this event, no exceptions.
• If you choose to sign up for any event, you are releasing the organizers of PM Hikers from all liability in case of possible injuries.
• The organizers of PM Hikers are not trained leaders and we do not confirm the qualifications of any of its members to lead or participate in trips. By participating in any posted event, you’re taking responsibility for your own safety and well-being.
• Hiking and other outdoor events are inherently dangerous and accidents can happen. All participants take full responsibility for their own actions.
• Your personal safety depends on your own judgment and experience.