TO ALLOW GROUP HIKES TO START UP AGAIN, IT’S ESSENTIAL TO FOLLOW THE COVID-19 SAFETY REQUIREMENTS TO KEEP ALL OF US SAFE NOW:
• Mouth/nose coverings and social distancing (6ft) required at all times. If you don’t agree, please don’t join this hike.
• This hike is limited to 10, DON’T attend if you are on the waitlist.
• I will move rsvp’s from the waitlist to going to give those who haven’t had a chance to hike Mt. McCoy.
• Full disclaimer below description.
During the 1800’s Spanish priests placed a cross on the mountaintop of Mt. McCoy to help guide travelers, on route between the San Buenaventura and San Fernando missions, to the El Rancho Simi Adobe. The original wooden cross has been replaced with a white concrete cross that can be seen on the western side of Simi Valley. You may read a description and history of Mt McCoy by clicking on this link: http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-20/local/me-4853_1_wooden-cross
From the parking lot behind the Clinica’s medical building, we will cross over Madera and walk a short distance through the neighborhood to the trailhead. We will hike a series of switchbacks for about 1.5 miles to the cross at the top. This is a steady climb across the face of the hill, always in full view of the neighborhood below, and of Simi Valley. At the top are panoramic views of Simi Valley, Moorpark, the Simi Hills, Santa Susana and Santa Monica Mountains, and the Reagan Library close by. On a clear day, we may see the Channel Islands in the Pacific Ocean, and maybe Mt. San Antonio (aka Mt. Baldy) to the far east.
Time: 6:30pm. We will start at 6:35
Sunset: 4:45 pm (bring your flashlight)
Where to meet: the parking lot behind the Clinica’s medical building on the corner of Royal and Madera.
Distance: about 3 miles
Route type: Out & Back
Elevation gain: 700 ft
Speed: 2mph (we don’t hike fast and no one is left behind)
Weather: I’ll keep you posted
Difficulty: Beginner – fit beginner
Dogs: On a leash per state law
Water Fountain: None
Known Dangers: Rattlesnakes, mountain lions, bobcats, tarantulas, scorpions, slip-‘n-fall, poison oak
WHAT TO BRING:
Flashlight or Headlight
At least 2 liters of water
Snacks / electrolytes
Good hiking/walking shoes
Dress according to the weather
Coordinates: 34.264725, -118.795513
Address: 1424 Madera Rd, S.V., corner of Royal and Madera. Clinica’s medical building parking lot.
• California Department of Public Health (CDPH). https://covid19.ca.gov/
• Ventura County: https://www.venturacountyrecovers.org/
• L.A. County: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
You agree with the mandated COVID-19 safety measures and you will follow these rules:
• This hike is limited to 10 participants, no guests.
• Each participant will observe social distancing of 6 ft.
• It’s REQUIRED to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…
• Be CONSIDERATE and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Cover your mouth with your elbow if you need to sneeze or cough.
• DO NOT attend this hike if you are showing signs of COVID-19, or if you choose not to observe the mask rule and wear it when near other hikers, or if you are on the waitlist.
DISCLAIMER/RELEASE OF LIABILITY:
• You must RSVP to attend this event, no exceptions.
• The PM Hiker organizers are not trained leaders and do not confirm the qualifications of any of its members to lead or participate in trips.
• If you sign up for any event, you are releasing the PM Hiker organizers from all liability in case of possible injuries.
• Hiking and other outdoor events can be dangerous and accidents can happen.
• By participating in this event, you are responsible for your own safety and well-being. Your personal safety depends on your own judgment and experience. You take full responsibility for their own actions.
• These rules apply to any guests you may invite.