Please follow the Meetup and CDC guidelines to keep our hikers safe:
• It is required to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…Be CONSIDERATE and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Practice social distancing at 6 ft. apart.
About the hike:
This is a casual hike. We will hike to the top via the western route (the backside of Mt. McCoy), take a detour to the entrance (front gate) of the Reagan Library, then head back to the cross where we will stop for a short break. At the top are panoramic views of Simi Valley, Moorpark, Santa Susana and Santa Monica Mountains. On a clear day, we may see the Channel Islands in the Pacific Ocean, and maybe Mt. San Antonio (aka Mt. Baldy) to the far east.
Click on the link if you’re interested in learning more about the history of Mt. McCoy, http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-20/local/me-4853_1_wooden-cross
The hike will be cancelled if there is rain, fire, high winds, heat, freezing temps.
Time: 6:30pm. We will start hiking at 6:35
Sunset: 7:36 pm (bring your flashlight)
Where to meet: At the trailhead.
Distance: 4.5 miles
Route type: Out & Back
Trail: Paved road and single-track.
Elevation gain: 850 ft
Weather: I’ll keep you posted
Difficulty: Beginner – fit beginner
Dogs: On a leash per state law
Water Fountain: None
Parking: Free in street on the side of the trailhead
Known Dangers: Rattlesnakes, mountain lions, bobcats, tarantulas, scorpions, slip-‘n-fall, poison oak
WHAT TO BRING
Flashlight or Headlight
At least 2 liters of water
Snacks / Electrolytes
Bring your own hand sanitizer
Good hiking/walking shoes
Dress according to the weather
Trailhead coordinates: 34.269819, -118.805677
Address of the house across from the trailhead: 1871 Summertime Ave.
Use your GPS
• California Department of Public Health (CDPH). https://covid19.ca.gov/
• Ventura County: https://www.venturacountyrecovers.org/
• L.A. County: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
Your participation means you agree with the mandated COVID-19 safety measures and you will follow these rules:
• Each participant will observe social distancing of 6 ft. among ourselves.
• It is REQUIRED to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…
• Be CONSIDERATE and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Cover your mouth with your elbow if you need to sneeze or cough.
• DO NOT attend this hike if you are showing signs of COVID-19, or if you choose not to observe the mask rule and wear it when near other hikers.
DISCLAIMER / RELEASE OF LIABILITY:
• You must RSVP to attend this event, no exceptions.
• If you choose to sign up for any event, you are releasing the organizers of PM Hikers from all liability in case of possible injuries.
• The organizers of PM Hikers are not trained leaders and we do not confirm the qualifications of any of its members to lead or participate in trips. By participating in any posted event, you’re taking responsibility for your own safety and well-being.
• Hiking and other outdoor events are inherently dangerous and accidents can happen. All participants take full responsibility for their own actions.
• Your personal safety depends on your own judgment and experience. This applies to any guests you may invite.