Masks are mandatory as we gather at the trailhead! They will also be mandatory anytime we are gathered and cannot keep an appropriate social distance between people. Please be considerate.
We will meet at the Wendy “walk-in” at the intersection of Wendy and Potrero Roads in Newbury Park and head over the flatland for about 0.85 miles to the Chumash Demonstration area. We will then head up to a new overlook I found and hopefully catch sunset over the ocean. We will retrace our steps for a short while and then loop back to the Chumash Demonstration Area on very small unmarked trails. We will cross the flatland again for return to the cars. Other than the flatland, the trails is mostly rolling hills with beautiful views.
Distance: ~ 5 miles
Elevation Gain: around 620′ total gain
Difficulty: Easy side of Intermediate
Dogs: Not allowed on some parts of the trail
Water Fountain: No
Parking: Free at the Trailhead along Potrero Road
Trail: Single track, excellent condition and some small horse trails
Sunset: 7:24 PM
Moon: Not much. Bring your lights!
Directions: Take the 101 to Wendy Drive exit in Newbury Park and head south toward the ocean until Wendy Drive ceases to exist at the intersection with Potrero Road. Park right there in the free dirt lot that is staring you in the face. We’ll gather right there.
Known Dangers: Rattlesnakes, slip-‘n-fall, poison oak, bears, mountain lions, heatstroke, rabid rabbits, whatever.
Flashlight/headlamp, charged and ready to go!
LOTS of H20, especially if it’s hot when we start out.
A light jacket if you tend to get chilly in the evenings
COVID-19 DISCLAIMER / RULES
Please follow the guidelines under the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). https://covid19.ca.gov/
COVID information for Ventura and LA counties:
Your participation means you agree with the observance of mandated COVID-19 safety measures and you agree to follow these rules:
• Each participant will observe social distancing of 6 ft. among ourselves.
• It is required to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…
• Be considerate and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Cover your mouth with your elbow if you need to sneeze or cough.
DISCLAIMER / RELEASE OF LIABILITY:
• You must RSVP to attend this event, no exceptions.
• If you choose to sign up for any event, you are releasing the organizers of PM Hikers from all liability in case of possible injuries.
• The organizers of PM Hikers are not trained leaders and we do not confirm the qualifications of any of its members to lead or participate in trips. By participating in any posted event, you’re taking responsibility for your own safety and well-being.
• Hiking and other outdoor events are inherently dangerous and accidents can happen. All participants take full responsibility for their own actions.
• Your personal safety depends on your own judgment and experience.