This is 4 mile loop hike with a 650’ gain in the foothills of the Santa Susana Mountains in Simi Valley.
FIRST THINGS FIRST:
This group hikes as fast as the slowest hiker.
Please follow the Meetup and CDC guidelines to keep our hikers safe:
• It is required to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…Be CONSIDERATE and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Practice social distancing at 6 ft. apart.
ABOUT THE HIKE
This hike loops around the Big Sky housing development. Most of the elevation gain will be at the beginning but once we reach the ridge at the top we’ll have great views of Whiteface Mountain and surrounding mountains in all directions. A portion of the hike winds along the stream that runs through the neighborhoods. Please keep our voices low when hiking in these areas.
Where to meet: Falcon Park, see directions below. See map of the parking and trail in the photo gallery.
Time: 6:30pm. We will start hiking at 6:35
Sunset is at 7:52 PM
Distance: 4 miles
Route type: Fire Road, crossing the street, sometimes through neighborhoods
Elevation gain: 650’
Speed: about 2mph (we hike as fast as the slowest hiker)
Weather: I’ll keep you posted
Difficulty: Beginner – fit beginner
Dogs: On a leash per state law
Water Fountain: None
Known Dangers: Rattlesnakes, slip-‘n-fall, poison oak, mountain lions, creepy crawly things.
WHAT TO WEAR
Good hiking boots/shoes
Dress according to the weather
WHAT TO BRING
Flashlight or Headlight
At least 2 liters of water
Snacks for energy
Park on the street near Falcon park
coordinates: 34.288278, -118.765722
From the 118 Freeway in Simi Valley, take the Erringer Road exit and go north. If you’re coming from the east, turn right. If you’re coming from the west, turn left. At about 1/2 miles, turn left onto Falcon and continue until you reach the end (about ¼ mile or less) to Falcon Park which is on the left. If the parking lot is closed off, you can park in the street near or in the neighborhood. Don’t park where there are no parking signs that are posted up and down the street.
• California Department of Public Health (CDPH). https://covid19.ca.gov/
• Ventura County: https://www.venturacountyrecovers.org/
• L.A. County: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
Your participation means you agree with the mandated COVID-19 safety measures and you will follow these rules:
• Each participant will observe social distancing of 6 ft. among ourselves.
• It is REQUIRED to carry a mask and wear it through the duration of the hike. Of course we remove our masks when we can but…
• Be CONSIDERATE and wear your mask when near each other or near other hikers passing by.
• Cover your mouth with your elbow if you need to sneeze or cough.
• DO NOT attend this hike if you are showing signs of COVID-19, or if you choose not to observe the mask rule and wear it when near other hikers, or if you are on the waitlist.
DISCLAIMER/RELEASE OF LIABILITY:
• You must RSVP to attend this event, no exceptions.
• The PM Hiker organizers are not trained leaders and do not confirm the qualifications of any of its members to lead or participate in trips.
• If you sign up for any event, you are releasing the PM Hiker organizers from all liability in case of possible injuries.
• Hiking and other outdoor events can be dangerous and accidents can happen.
• By participating in this event, you are responsible for your own safety and well-being. Your personal safety depends on your own judgment and experience. You take full responsibility for their own actions.
• These rules apply to any guests you may invite.